Thursday, October 9, 2008

Happy 6th Birthday Jonathan!

This is recap of the activities that took place on Jonathan's b-day, October 8th. Before I go into details I just want to do a shout out to all the family that sent gifts... the Bates, Nana/ Papa clan, my brother & Marissa, G'pa and Grammie. You are all wonderful and Jonathan loves his gifts. If all goes right, thank you cards will be put in the mail soon.

The night before Jonathan's birthday I snuck into his room and pinned a banner I made him that said Happy Birthday along with putting balloons all over the floor. The next morning I heard him talking and he just hung out in his room for a little bit looking at the sign. Then we did the usual getting ready for school routine. Dad pulled an all nighter and made in home just in time to walk to the bus stop.

At school, his class sang Happy Birthday and he also got a birthday sticker and chose a watermelon push pop. He brought snack that day and a small toy for each student that was passed out at the end of the day.

When coming home on the bus, we were all there waiting for him. Once Jonathan came off the bus, all of us jumped into the car and drove to Blockbuster. I let Jonathan choose some videos to watch and then we went to Burger King, which was the dinner of his choice. He wanted to go there for Neopets, but they were no longer there. So now he has a new collection he wants to start... i dog pals.

When home, waiting for him on the table was all of his presents nicely lined up and labeled, which was what he asked for. He had to wait for us to eat before present time, which was torture but he got through it. He enjoyed opening all his presents and is currently still playing with them.
One present was a Bakugan board, part of the game, and the boys wanted to get more players for the game, but Jonathan wanted to make sure Ella was still awake for cake, so cake first. It was cute because we told him to make a wish, which took about 2-3 minutes. He then opened his eyes and began to blow out the candles. It took a couple tries to blow all the candles out.

After cake the boys took off for almost 2 hours and could not find the players... little did I know they are so popular stores sell out of them within hours they are put on the shelves. I actually saw some on Tuesday but did not get them because I didn't want to get the same ones Nana got. I'll keep my eyes out and eventually we'll find some more.

So after the boys FINALLY came back Jonathan helped me set up our tent so we could camp out and watch videos in the living room. He ended up not watching a video we rented but one he got from the Nana clan. It was so late we couldn't watch that much, but still had fun. We could stay up late because he did not have school the next day!
The next Morning Jonathan asked when we could camp out again.
I must say, I like doing special birthday activities. It's exciting to see the surprised look on Jonathan's face. He's old enough to know what's going on and appreciate it but young enough to still be in awe of the decorations and birthday activities. It's a great age.

It's funny because I wasn't sure if my Dad's gifts would arrive on time so I told Jonathan they might be late. He was ok with that but thought Uncle John was flying over with G'pa and Grammie to bring the gifts. When I told him it was just the gifts, that's when he was disappointed. So for all of you who think we have forgotten you, we have not. Jonathan still remembers you all and wants to see everyone. So again, even though you are far away, we greatly appreciate everything you do for our kids and thinking about Jonathan on his birthday. It would not have been as special without your phone calls and thoughtful presents.

Happy Birthday! Make a wish and blow out the candles.

I still don't know who liked the gift more, Jonathan or Ryan. Ryan eyed the shirt and then started reminiscing about how he had a shirt like that when he was little and how cool it was. If it fit Ryan, I think he would borrow it... on a regular/ permanent basis. Thanks Bates clan!

Papa's brilliant packing/wrapping skills even baffled the doctor. Luckily we didn't have to operate to get the boxes open.

He's ready to play the game... Ryan was excited too.


Yes, Jonathan read the cards all by himself. Ryan did have to explain the joke from Auntie Alysha's card, but he got it.

Thank you for also thinking about Ella. She loves her cat. In the pic she's hugging it and then she tried to put the cat back into the purse... very cute. She also slept with it last night.

Uncle John, you have good taste. Jonathan loves the toys and wore his spy kid watch at Chuck E Cheese today.

During the present opening Ella was somewhat content with eating her first lollipop which was actually a push pop. She opened it at the video store and then licked it, so we had to buy it. Sometimes kids firsts are not how we plan them .

Ella started a little friendly rivalry with her gift. Jonathan has become an Eagles fan which the rest of the fam are Green bay cheese heads. Who would have thought a family disagreement would be about football... a sport we rarely watch.

Jonathan was been waiting for months to get a Bionicle toy. He is putting it together right now with his dad. Thanks Grammie and G'Pa.

Once again, Jonathan read every card. This one is from the Bates. He also loved the gifts and was very excited to get Neopet cash. It'll be interesting what we picks out for his pet... hopefully some food because he keeps forgetting to feed the poor thing.

PS- Thanks to all grandparents for Ella's gifts. She has already looked through the book and loves her new kitty. I showed Ella how to make kitty noises and pretended to play with the kitty. She copied me and was completely adorable. When she saw a cat in the book, she said meow. By the way, Did I say thank you?