Thursday, October 30, 2008

Carving Pumpkins

Time has passed us by quickly but we had to carve our pumpkins before Halloween. Luckily they were still carvable. The pumpkin Ella chose is already soft (probably from all the times she dropped it), but the pumpkins we left outside are good. I guess the cold weather has kept them fresh.

The kids were really into carving this year. Ella would not let go of the pumpkin knife which made it hard for Ryan to finish it. She kept standing on the chair trying to cut the pumpkin and scoop out the seeds. So Ryan was a spotter as well as a pumkin carving artist. Luckily I was able to distract her so Ryan could finish. We got a good picture of her craziness with the knife... she stabbed Ryan but luckily it didn't break the skin. I'm so thankful for the person who invented kid friendly pumpkin tools.

Jonathan decided to "old school" the carving and did not use a pattern. ( Mommy decided to use a pattern of a mummy. Jonathan thought it would be fitting for me to carve a mummy since I was the mommy.) He did all the work on his pumpkin with a minimum amount of suggested help from the parents. He left some of the seeds in which makes the pumpkin look even better.

I need to get some lights for the pumpkins so we have not had the finale yet of show casing our finished Jack-o-Lanterns. I guess that will happen on Halloween... can't wait!