This past week Jonathan started swimming lessons. He had them last summer as well, but did not like getting his face wet, which slowed progression into swimming. Trying to prep him before classes started this year, I asked him why he did not like to get his face wet. He told me he didn't like water getting in his eyes and nose. So, I showed him how to clear the water out, he practiced wiping his face in the bath tub, and he felt confident to start the lessons. Ryan told Jonathan that if he could stay underwater for 10 seconds, he would give Jonathan five bucks. That motivated Jonathan as well, but he has yet to earn the money.
So far Jonathan enjoys the lessons. Today he wore flippers, which was a first for him. He also practiced swimming with a noodle and diving for rings. Every time a lesson is over, he tells me eveything that happened, but then is sad because the lesson is over. He likes them so much that he told me he wants to take two lessons every day! That's a bit much, but I am going to check into extending his lessons.
The lessons are early in the morning, so now we have a reason to help us get up and out the door early, which helps us keep the routine we had in California... early to rise... hopefully early to bed.
Sorry there are no pictures of him swimming. It is an indoor pool and the parents sit in a seperate area to watch the lessons. If I get a good picture of him, I will add it to the blog. I only have a pic of him waiting for the lessons to start... which you can see how excited he is.