Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Summer Storms





Since the move, I have noticed a pattern in the weather. There is usually a few days of hot, humid sunshine and then a storms comes in. It's interesting because some of these storms pass by quickly. The day looks beautiful, then clouds come. After a while the wind blows and then it starts to rain. A few hours later, the sun comes out and it seems as though the rain never came. One time it was so hot after a rain, you could see the water evaporating off the pavement. It created a misty/ foggy look. I finally took a couple pictures of the weather. Both were taken out of my bedroom window... it is a beautiful view.

The storm today has lasted longer. It started last night, but the pattern was different. Around three in the morning the lightening came. It woke me up it was so bright. In the morning, it looked overcast, which lasted towards the evening. Then, around 5 o'clock the thunder rolled in. I have read in books how thunder rumbles, but never fully understood it until now. It continued for almost an hour and I thought this would be an excellent storm. Next the winds came and I knew the rain would pour down quickly... and sure enough it dumped down. We live on a hill so you can see the rain just roll down the hill. Later in the evening the lightening came back accompanied with thunder. Ryan had to come and tell me that the lightening was green. (Jonathan recently read in a book that lightening is different colors... the color determines hottness.)

Being a California girl, this never happened in the summer, unless I was visiting relatives in Wisconsin. It's funny because I associate rain with cold weather, so on a rainy day I put on a sweater and step outside. After a few minutes, I quickly take it off because it is between 80and 90 degrees... silly me. For now, it is marvelous to view these storms. No wonder everything stays so green.