Thursday, July 10, 2008

Flea Circus


When I found out the library was having a flea circus visit, I had to check it out. After all, it is rare now a days to see a flea circus. So, we went to the library and the performer was stuck in traffic. One of the librarians was stalling the children until the man came. So, during that time the kids had a bug parade and ate some candy... man still not there so then she started asking the crowd if they knew any bug jokes(the theme for the summer reading program is about bugs)... man still not there, so then she started to make up a story on the fly (ha ha, get it... they are learning about bugs.. "on the fly"... oh, never mind) until the man came and was ready.

The circus was done like many years ago, when people would try to sell healing tonics to a group of on-lookers, just to make some money. So Jonathan had a taste of the past. I was worried he might get restless, because the man mostly talked, but Jonathan listened the whole time and sat rather still. I almost left early because Ella was starting to get fussy, but a good amount of other parents left early and I didn't want to be rude so we stayed through the whole performance.

I'm glad we stayed because Jonathan was picked to help with the grand finale. He had to hold the hat which a flea was going to land in. So, the cannon ball was lit, the flea flew out and when they checked to see if the flea landed in the hat, they could not find him. (Jonathan said later that he was a bad helper because he did not catch the flea.) Anyway, they looked for it and found the flea on the other helper's head.

When everything was over, I asked Jonathan if he liked the act. He said he wished the fleas did more tricks. The circus was for an hour and only three flea tricks were performed, so I definately agreed with him. What was really cute was he told me that only two of the fleas were real and one was fake. He said the flea he was suppose to catch was the fake one because he saw the strings. Oh kids, they can really make you smile.