Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Favorite Books for Read Alouds

I was wondering what to post as a list and I decided to make a list of the books I enjoy reading to Jonathan or past students. My family and friends are now having kids so I thought this might be a good list to add. Also, I have a short attention span when it comes to reading, so I enjoy reading children's books for entertainment.

The author I enjoy the most is Mo Williams, especially the pigeon books. He has a new one out, but I forgot the title. Jonathan and my students also enjoy them. Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus is rather interactive and the kids think it is very funny. Through the years my reading has become more animated, so at times I would yell while reading parts of the book (pigeon has a short temper). It's funny because when Jonathan goes to read the book, or some of my students this past year, they yell at the same parts. You just have to yell, it's what makes the book so funny. It's a great book, what can I say.

As a side note, I never enjoyed, or appreciated reading until I became a teacher. Being able to read gives a person a lot of power and freedom over his/her life. It's something I took for granted and didn't appreciate... like breathing. Anyway, enjoy the suggestions.