Saturday, July 12, 2008

Crystal Cave


We just got back from Crystal Cave, a place we stumbled upon while driving around trying to figure out what to do. Ryan goes into work tonight so we were limited time wise. The cave was really cool, literally. It stays at 54 degrees, which felt good after being in the hot sun. We were able to go into the cave and see the beautiful formations from the mineral deposits. Hopefully I won't mess up, but their names are stalagtites and stalagmites? I'll have to look it up and change my blog if I'm wrong. Our guide pointed out what some of the shapes look like; an indian, Abraham Lincoln, one area looked like a zoo, etc. There was another area where the kids were able to touch a formation on the ground, which was special because the rule was you could not touch them due to the fact that the oil on our hands makes the mineral deposits not stick as well , which makes the formations bumpy and not smooth. When we were at the back of the cave, the guide turned off the lights so we could get a feel what it was like when the first exploreres went into the cave back in... I think 1871. After a little bit the darkness became scary for Jonathan and he was relieved when the lights came back on.

At one point it was hard to listen to the guide because Ella wanted down, but I had to hold her because it was too dangerous. We climbed many stairs and there were places she could easily slip and slide down into the cave. She became so frustrated that she pushed her feet against Ryan, which threw me off balance and I was the one holding her. It scared me because where I was standing was high in the cave, not a good place for a baby to fall. Luckily nothing happenend, but that mommy intinct definately kicked in.

We had a nice time. It reminded me of when I was little and went with my family into a cave with mineral depostits. It's hard to believe that now I am the parent taking my kids places. It only seemed like yesterday when I was the one getting in trouble in the back of the car. Now it's Jonathan, sometimes Ella, and other times them together. Time really does seem to pass by rather quickly.