Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Pickin' Berries

It seems like any time I go out, it becomes an adventure due to the temperments of my children. I thought it would be nice to pick blueberries, so I packed up the kids and drove out to the farm. When we got there, Jonathan didn't want to come out because he thought his friends would be there, but they were not, so I guess the trip was off. After some persuasion,( I said I would leave him in the car, he told me that was illegal and then I said I would roll down the windows... gave him one more chance if he wanted to come) he decided to tag along, but he would not pick anything. Well, I decided to have a blueberry picking contest to see who could find the biggest blueberry. The bait snagged him and he started picking.

With two small kids, it is not that relaxing, but still fun anyway. You are not supposed to eat the berries, but Ella went right for them and shoved some into her mouth. We tried telling her no, but she loves blueberries, and decided not to listen. Luckily after 5 minutes she stopped. It took us awhile to fill up a container, especially since Ella would come and try to grab the berries, but we managed to get a decent amount.

The bugs were bothering us, so we moved on to picking blackberries. These bushes are higher, about a foot taller than me, and it seemed like we stepped into a different world. Not many berries were ripe, so we had to look carefully. Jonathan enjoyed this part a little more. Ella, well she found a stick and walked around with it for awhile. I would like to go back again sometime because I did enjoy the trip, difficulties and all.

I actually loved the drive out there. I wish the drive was longer because it calms me to look at the beautiful views. On the way back, I was considering taking some side roads to see more of the landscape. I have a Tom Tom, which makes me more willing to explore, but the kids were restless and I needed to head back to start dinner.

Pennsylvania is very green right now. The streets/ highways are small, sometimes narrow, a tad curvy and I enjoy driving around them. To get to the farm, we had to go over an old bridge, not uncommon around here. I love living somewhere green, which is why I love northern California better than southern, but they both can't compare to how green Pennsylvania is. I'm trying to enjoy every minute of it, especially since summer is almost over and we do have the seasons here, unlike California, which is nice almost all the time.