Monday, August 4, 2008

Dinner

So, what happens around dinner time when you husband is a doctor? Do I wait for him to come home... even though I'm not sure exactly when he'll be there... and I can't call because he can't pick up? Then, of course, sometimes work feeds him. So do I make dinner, just to find out he already had it? Do I just eat without him? Well, for sanity sake, we eat without him. His food gets wrapped up nice and pretty on a plate, waiting for him whatever time he is able to eat it.

I try to get the kids fed and all ready for bed, so when Daddy comes home (which is super close to bedtime on "normal" nights ) he can just play with them and not have to worry about anything... but

Since he doesn't eat with us, do I make a balanced dinner or mac and cheese the evening?

For me, it's mixed. Some nights are geared more towards Ryan while other nights, the food is more to Jonathan's liking. Other nights, it's a combination. Take tonight for instance. I BBQ'd some chicken, which Ryan likes. (Hey, my oven's still broken... it's been 2 1/2 weeks now) and added some corn, which Jonathan loves. So it's a combo. Ella even tried eating corn on the cob, which tonight she actually took off all the corn.


Speaking of Ella, she gets some extras on her plate. Like tonight, she had the rest of the watermelon, which she devoured most of and threw her scraps on the floor for Jak Jak. Lovely mess to clean up. Boy does he love her!

Lately, dessert has been a treat after most dinners. Tonight, I thought, hey forget the bowl, I'll just let Jonathan eat from the carton, he can finish it off. One less dish to clean, yay!

I'm probably teaching him bad manners, but some nights, I'm just greatful for the fact that no complaining took place at the dinner table and when dessert rolls out, well, it is so quiet you could hear a pin drop. The kids have no desire to talk, they just want to eat the icecream. What's that you say... Joanthan quiet??? Yes, miracles do happen.