Saturday, January 10, 2009

Sacred Grove

So I'm super behind in my posting but after Canada we headed out to the Smith's house and Sacred Grove. I have been wanting to go here since we moved so it was nice to see it on my birthday. We first went into the visitor's center where they gave each child a picture of Christ. When Ella got hers she said, "Jesus". Very cute but a few moments later she scratched my face with it.

We then went outside and took a quick walk to the first house they lived in which was a replica. It was a nice quaint house. The Smith kids slept upstairs and Ryan mentioned how small the room was where Joseph Smith had the visitations not to mention he was probably not the only one in the room when they happened. It was nice to have more of an idea about what things were like back then. Also, I was surprised how close the Sacred Grove was from their house. For some reason I thought it was farther away.



After a tour of the first house we moved on to the second house the Smith family lived in. This was where my tour ended. I saw about two minutes worth of the house and then had to take Ella out because she had a major melt down. So what else happened during the tour, I'm not sure. I ended up walking back to the car and drove around the parking lot about 20 times before parking and then waiting for the rest of the gang. From what I heard they enjoyed everything, even had a snowball fight in the Sacred Grove. I would like to go back again in the summertime or fall. We arrived late so there were a couple things we missed, like the printing press, which I am very interested in.



Sorry, the pictures are out of order.

snowball fight


Ella and I heading back to the car. Interesting fact... the window pane is the original, so Joseph Smith probably looked out the same window.



The Smith's first home.




The first home had a door in the floor to store food and what not.

Inside of the second home... this one is not a replica.