Saturday, January 24, 2009

chores

For some time now we have wanted to give Jonathan more responsibility. I kept planning on sitting down with him and talking about chores but it never happened. To make matters worse, for the past week Jonathan has wanted to earn extra money to buy a toy.

So on Friday I went to a friend's house and noticed her kids had a few chores written out. Nothing fancy but she started it. Then I noticed she had a side list of extra chores where the kids could earn money. I though that was a great idea so when I had a few minutes to talk to Jonathan we sat down and made a list of his normal and extra chores. Each side only had a few items so it was not overwhelming.

For him to earn money for the extra chores, he has to complete his normal chores first. He was pretty motivated to start and has already earned 75 cents. I added a chore I dislike and has caused some contention, putting away folded, clean clothes. Jonathan's clothes are a regular chore but he can earn money putting Ella's away or folding and putting away our towels.

We'll see how everything goes. Hopefully we'll have a cleaner house and the boy will start learning to work hard and be responsible.