Before I even go into the details, I must say our group included 10 people... 4 adults and six kids from 5 months, 1 year old, 2 year old, 6 year old, 7 year old and a nine year old. I am amazed at how smoothly things went.
So we were all loaded in the cars and ready to take off at 7am. Ryan wanted the leave early because the drive is 6 hours but with the cold weather and 6 kids he warned us the trip would take more like 8 hours. The first few hours were the most difficult. Ella threw up 4 times in the car due to motion sickness. Once I heard/saw what was happening I quickly grabbed some paper towels I packed and was able to contain most of the mess either on Ella's clothes or the napkins.
A little time later we stopped to change her clothes and fuel up the cars. While there Ryan was rather distracted because we were trying to hurry and he drove away with the gasoline nozzle still attached to the car. He has NEVER done this before. Luckily they pop off and it was easy to put it back together. We laughed about it ten minutes later.
Back on the road and the conditions were wet and icy making the cars spit up water and gunk off the road. Not usually a problem but due to the cold, Reuben's rental car's washer fluid was not coming out which made things dangerous and we had to stop a few times. Finally we found a place to stop in New York where Reuben was able to fix the car and Ryan could get a perscription for some medicine to stop motion sickness. We then decided it was a good time to eat lunch and from then on out the trip went smoothly. All in all it ended up taking almost 8 hours but the walkie talkies we brought along seemed to keep the adults entertained.
With such a long drive I wondered what the kids wanted to do when at the hotel. They wanted to play in the snow of course but first had to get all their energy out by jumping on the beds. Here are a few pics I took.
So we were all loaded in the cars and ready to take off at 7am. Ryan wanted the leave early because the drive is 6 hours but with the cold weather and 6 kids he warned us the trip would take more like 8 hours. The first few hours were the most difficult. Ella threw up 4 times in the car due to motion sickness. Once I heard/saw what was happening I quickly grabbed some paper towels I packed and was able to contain most of the mess either on Ella's clothes or the napkins.
A little time later we stopped to change her clothes and fuel up the cars. While there Ryan was rather distracted because we were trying to hurry and he drove away with the gasoline nozzle still attached to the car. He has NEVER done this before. Luckily they pop off and it was easy to put it back together. We laughed about it ten minutes later.
Back on the road and the conditions were wet and icy making the cars spit up water and gunk off the road. Not usually a problem but due to the cold, Reuben's rental car's washer fluid was not coming out which made things dangerous and we had to stop a few times. Finally we found a place to stop in New York where Reuben was able to fix the car and Ryan could get a perscription for some medicine to stop motion sickness. We then decided it was a good time to eat lunch and from then on out the trip went smoothly. All in all it ended up taking almost 8 hours but the walkie talkies we brought along seemed to keep the adults entertained.
With such a long drive I wondered what the kids wanted to do when at the hotel. They wanted to play in the snow of course but first had to get all their energy out by jumping on the beds. Here are a few pics I took.