Monday, November 10, 2008

Family Home Evening

For the past month Jonathan wanted to give the lesson for FHE, but would forget about it during the week, so it didn't happen. A couple days ago he noticed a sign about Toys for Tots at the gas station and I talked to him about who they were and from that conversation we prepared what we would do on Monday.

Tha plans: to build two bears at Build-A-Bear Workshop and then donate them to Toys for Tots. Jonathan has wanted to build a bear but there is no reason to buy one, plus he has a good amount of stuffed animals already, PLUS I promised he could make one when Ella turns 2. So, he was able to enjoy making the bears but they went to a good cause.

The man who helped us thought it was a cool idea and gave Jonathan a high five. He let each of us put a heart in the bears, so each bear has 4 hearts. All of us did the little routine, we kissed them, touched our head, ears, feet, etc. and then made a wish. After that Jonathan cleaned the two bears and chose a skate board for his bear and I picked a purse for the girl bear. We didn't fill out the computer info. We talked to a worker and found out if we leave it blank, the new owner can come in and give the bear a name. So I wrote a note letting the future owner know to come to the workshop to give his/her bear a name.

We then took off to Wegman's (a fancy supermarket) and put the bears in a Toys for Tots donation box. Jonathan had a hard time saying good-bye to the bear he made...very emotional...seriously, it was. It gave us an opportunity to talk to him about giving to those in need and how that bear will make some kid very happy.


When I was a teenager I worked with the Marines for Toys for Tots. I use to sit out in front of K-Mart thanking people for donations. One year I went with the Marines and dropped off the gifts. I will never forget seeing one of the retired marines watching the children open the gifts and then turned away, put his head down and brushed away some tears. I told Jonathan this story and we told him Heavenly Father was very pleased with him in giving this toy to another kid. He still had a hard time with it and cried every time he thought about the bear.

Well... after that we went to Target to cash in on the gift card he just got from Uncle Sean and Aunt Jenn. Amazingly, they had Bakugans ... the starter kit! It costs $10.00, the exact amount on the gift card. Hey, small miracle still happen! Yes, it's a miracle because they sell out of them soooo fast. Jonathan's frown turned upside down and he was happy again. He couldn't stop talking about them... but per Jonathan's request we can't mention the bear... he's still a little sad about saying good-bye.

It was a great night and a fantastic way to begin the holiday season.