Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Zoo

It was a beautiful day today and I did not want to waste it in doors so I took the kids out to the local zoo. Plus it gave Daddy a chance to catch up on some much needed sleep. Jonathan protested a little but once everyone was in the car, the catchy primary song began and the kiddos started to sing along, the mood changed and it was the beginning of a great trip.

The drive is so relaxing this time of year due to everything being incredibly green. I am just trying to soak it all in before the move. The zoo is on one of the hills out here so when we are almost there we get a great view of the valley which is gorgeous. The kids also spotted a baby red fox which was fun.

We had another pleasant surprise by finding out the Girl Scouts were doing a special event at the zoo and the kids were able to play a couple games and make some crafts. The first one they did was a paper kite. The kids had so much fun running around the green grass watching their kites fly. As a parent now and then you have moments that just seem magical and watching them run around with the look of pure joy on their faces made me realize we had one of those moments today.

It did start to get a little hot so we stopped by a fountain for the kids to cool off. The fountain can spray rather far so when it was Leia's turn she decided to turn around and get her whole backside wet. There were lots of giggles coming from the other kids as she did this. The simple joys a 2 year old brings to a trip are priceless.

Once we were done seeing the animals, the kids ate lunch and then proceeded to visit the last booths the Girl Scouts had set up. Jonathan, being a very thoughtful brother, made a bracelet for Leia. At this point it was super sunny out so I let Ella wear my sunglasses because the glare of the sun was making it difficult for her to make a bracelet.



I hardly ever splurge on things but after the zoo I decided to treat the kids to Rita's... the kids were super excited and  enjoyed their watermelon Italian ice with frozen custard on top. Audrey even gave noises of protest until she too was able to have a taste of this deliciousness. I will sure miss not having these around when we move. While eating my custard I contemplated if it was possible to open a Rita's out west. That would be awesome.