Another item has been crossed off my bucket list!
Everyone in the family had the week between Christmas and New year's off. It was the only week off of school for Jonathan and Ella and Ryan being able to take his vacation time then as well meant one thing. We were finally able to take a family vacation!!!!
It was a mini vacation, BUT a vacation none the less.
We headed out to Washington D.C. to finally go to the Aero and Space Museum. I have wanted to go there since we first moved out here. I knew Jonathan would love it. I just did not realize how much everyone else would like it as well.
I still can't get over how many airplanes, missels and space crafts fit under one roof.Everyone in the family had the week between Christmas and New year's off. It was the only week off of school for Jonathan and Ella and Ryan being able to take his vacation time then as well meant one thing. We were finally able to take a family vacation!!!!
It was a mini vacation, BUT a vacation none the less.
We headed out to Washington D.C. to finally go to the Aero and Space Museum. I have wanted to go there since we first moved out here. I knew Jonathan would love it. I just did not realize how much everyone else would like it as well.
Ryan was amazed that Air Force 1 was there.
It was crazy how close you could get to some of the exhibits. We even touched a piece of the moon!
Ryan was completely in awe at all the history surrounding us. Seeing this exhibit brought me back to childhood memories of going to my dad's work and seeing things like this up close. As a kid I was able to touch materials used to make space shuttles and even take some samples home. Seeing all of the space exhibits gave me a greater appreciation for my childhood, my dad's job and finally comprehend how rare it was to see what I saw as a child thanks to the great company my dad worked for.
Notice the name written on this plane.
Hello rover.
We stayed one night in Washington D.C. We payed an arm and a leg to stay within walking distance to the sites but the sting hurt a little less when they double booked our room and bumped us up to the presidential suite. I found it funny they had a presidential suite. The president lives so close I really doubt he would ever stay here.
The views were awesome. Tuesday night we watched the sunset from our hotel. Out one window we saw the Washington monument.
This is what we saw out the other window.
And of course President Leia is working hard to keep our country safe and secure by doodling on a piece of paper.
We visited the castle where Ella had a meltdown.
On our walk to the museums we took a quick photo in front of the Washington monument.
Then I had the family turn around to get this photo.
On Wednesday we went over to the Smithsonian to see the dinosaurs and then headed to see the minerals. Jonathan is currently working on a Science project where he needs to learn about minerals so it was a must see part of the museum for us. I took a good amount of pictures even though he ended up not using any of them for his power point presentation. At this point Leia was done and needed extra help to get through the day without a major meltdown.
Jonathan wanted to go back to the Aero/ Space museum and convinced the other kiddos they wanted to go back as well. The reason: a simulation ride. We did go back. He went on the ride with Ryan while the girls were able to get some down time by eating ice cream, do a little drawing and relaxing at McDonalds.
Right before we left Ryan noticed a book signing taking place of a World War II pilot. He had to stop, chat with the man and take some photos. Ryan was thrilled and commented how this man belonged in the Smithsonian. We found out a movie is being made about him and the troup/ command he belonged to during the war. Steven Spielberg is making the movie so keep a look out for it.

Right before we left Ryan noticed a book signing taking place of a World War II pilot. He had to stop, chat with the man and take some photos. Ryan was thrilled and commented how this man belonged in the Smithsonian. We found out a movie is being made about him and the troup/ command he belonged to during the war. Steven Spielberg is making the movie so keep a look out for it.



