Sunday, January 8, 2012

Christmas Eve 2011

Christmas Eve this year was a bit different since we had no one over. The Walkers moved on to bigger, better pastures and since our neighbors across the way invited us over, I counted that as our Christmas Eve get together. We did however have the traditional Christmas Eve dinner and pjs.

I love cooking Thanksgiving dinner but was a bit lost this year in what to cook for Christmas Eve. I tried a new recipe, brussel sprouts au gratin which I thought was super yummy... thanks Martha. Sadly, the kids did not agree so they feasted on rolls, mashed potatoes and ate maybe a sliver of  meat. I guess eating brussel sprouts for Christmas Eve dinner is like getting coal in your Christmas stocking.

A little bit later was pj time. Every year this tradition makes me laugh because the kids get crazy excited just to open up a present which they already know is pjs.


Jonathan wanted sleeper pjs again so I bought one size bigger since the other pair was beginning to ride up his hiney. The new pair was HUGE on him, especially the feet... it did make for some great entertainment

Ella also wanted "baby" pjs as well so she could be like everyone else... and have the right outfit for future pretending to be a baby moments.

Cute Audrey celebrating her first Christmas Eve.



Almost everyone in front of out tree. We had to add Jack Jack since this may be his last Christmas with us. Jonathan's expression is a lovely one of "I guess I'll let my sister hug me since it's Christmas Eve."Posted by Picasa

Since it was just our little family during the evening we had more time to read the story of Jesus' birth. A new tradition I'm trying to add in is writing down the Christ like acts we have done during December and then sharing them on Christmas Eve before bedtime. We explained earlier to the kids earlier in the month that the gift we can give Jesus is to be like him.This activity really made me feel like we were celebrating Christmas for truly what the season is about. Ella's face lit up every time a paper was read and she realized she was a part of the service or kind act. Priceless.

Before whisking little ones to bed all of us went outside to sprinkle reindeer food so Santa could find us. This is not a regular activity for us but Ella brought it home from preschool. It ended up being a fun little activity for us to do together as a family.