Sunday, January 8, 2012

Holiday activities

This year we did a lot more holiday activities compared to last year which is understandable since last year I still felt sick from being preggers. Not many pictures were taken but I want to mention some of the moments because I am very forgetful and these memories will be forgotten if not written down.

First of all, for one of our FHEs we went to Allentown's city light drive. I forget the real name. I sat in the back thinking I would need to feed Audrey but once she saw the lights she just stared at them in awe. It was so fun to watch her. The best entertainment was all the comments Leia made about each display. Lots of wows and ahhhs escaped her mouth. Super cute to hear when it is made by a two year old. I think all of us had more fun because she was so excited.


Santa was a hot topic of discussion this year. Ella was just really understanding about him while Jonathan had lots of questions about if he was real. About a day after Jonathan told his classmates he still believed (which he and only one other student in his class still did believe) Ryan decided to have a Santa talk with Jonathan on one of their outings. Ryan said he took it well but the following day Jonathan ranted and raved at how we lied to him all these years and why we did not tell him the truth, especially since he just told everyone he still believed. As a side note, this episode took place while Ryan was at work. I just sighed, told him I was sorry and regretted the whole Santa thing. I have always felt uneasy about it, especially when he was little because I  did feel like I was lying to my kid. Ryan did not feel that way and now here I stand taking the wrath of Santa. Hopefully I will be forgiven. We don't even make a big deal about the man but for some reason this year he was talked about a lot.

The big man did appear at Ryan's work party and then also at Ella's preschool party. In this pic Ella is telling him that she wanted a Hello Kitty suitcase. Who ended up getting it for her... Daddy because his heart is even softer than Santa's. Leia wanted nothing to do with Santa but was excited to receive a gift from him.

We also did some baking this year... in two batches. A couple weeks before Christmas we made caramels, Reese's fudge, snowflake sugar cookies and those Hershey kiss peanut butter cookies (my first time making those). Then right before Christmas we made candy cane cookies and macaroons. I have always wanted to make macaroons.Posted by Picasa

An entertaining moment was having Ella and Leia record messages on their ornaments. When Jonathan was just learning how to talk I bought an ornament where you can record a message. It's really fun to listen to it and reminisce about him as a baby. I have wanted to do the same thing for Ella, and now Leia as well, but could never bring myself to shelling out the money... especially since the last few years relatives have sent the kids ornaments. I ended up swallowing my frugality and purchased the ornaments. The night Ella recorded hers was filled with lots of laughter. Jonathan wanted in on the action so I let him record messages on Leia's since she would not be recording her message until the next day. I think I cried a little because I was laughing so hard.

Last but not least, projects. Every now and then I take on a bit too many homemade gifts and end up working long hours to get these projects finished. I do enjoy making things just not the staying up way too late part. I have made each kids' felt stocking and Audrey's was rather detailed so I ended up having three late nights right before Christmas. I have had the  kit for about a year. Just goes to show ya procrastination is not a good thing. I also made a quilt for Jonathan. I have kept some of the t-shirts he has had through the years and made a quilt out of them. The process of putting it together was rather emotional since it was a reminder how fast time goes by, he is about at the half way point of raising him before he goes off to college/ mission and just going back in time and thinking about the different stages he went through. I don't want to get overly sappy so I think this is a good stopping point.