Saturday, August 21, 2010

Man Up

While I was a First Grade teacher it was very apparent which parents could not let go of their "baby" and which kids were rather independent. I took notes and vowed to not do too much for Jonathan because I wanted him to be independent and not rely heavily on someone else to do the daily stuff for him. We moved. I lost focus of my goal.

A few month ago I read an article about a wimpy kid type syndrome first born kids usually get. No fault because of the child but really the fault lied with the parents being overly cautious. Now, let me rephrase that because we, meaning Ryan and I, are actually more cautious now compared to 7 years ago with safety/ health issues. What I mean is when something happens, how I react to it. With Jonathan if he got hurt I was more, "poor baby" but with Ella I am more relaxed with a where does it hurt, you're not dying so just "shake it off" and go back to playing. Jonathan does whine over small things where Ella will just go back to playing unless hunger/ tired issues pop up and then Ella turns into Hella... but that is another story... and yes I have a Freudian slip where I call her Hella when her ugly mood escapes.

Anyway, now I need to do some damage control due to my "freaking out" over the small stuff. I am trying to bring the phrase "Man Up" into the world. Man up meaning suck it up, take it like a man and just deal with the situation. It doesn't matter if you are tired, hungry, whatever the reason, just buck up, get through what needs to be done and then we'll focus on the other stuff. It also means be a gentleman. For example if your sister is having a hard time carrying all her girlie stuff into the house, Man Up seven year old boy and help her out and don't freak out about having to carry something pink... or frilly... or over-the-top princessy.

Hopefully the phrase will catch on in our home. I hope so. After all, we all need to Man Up now and then and just get things done.