Kids grow up so fast. It's true they grow up in the blink of an eye. This past week was a humongous wake up call that Jonathan is a boy. There is no resemblance of a baby, toddler or even a little boy. He is just a boy.
His mannerisms have changed. He shovels food into his mouth. Quite interesting to watch. Kind of like a train wreck. You don't want to see the outcome but can't help looking. Last night I watched him eat a personal pizza where he gobbled one slice at a time. He chewed with his mouth open because the piece of pizza was too big for him chew with his mouth closed. Watching the pizza roll around inside his mouth, kind of like a dryer at a laundry mat, made me realize the preteens are really not that far away. I do get nervous with his new eating habits because my grandfather died due to choking on food so we do remind Jonathan to not stuff his face or bite off more than he can chew:)
What Jonathan talks about other than Bakugan boggles my mind. He thinks about many topics some grown men don't give a second thought to. The other day during his bedtime routine he told me he wanted to start saving his money. He heard about saving for 20 years... I am drawing a blank to the actual name of the type of investment... but what ever it was, he wanted to start one. He told me to remind him to save his money and then quickly figured out how old he would be in 20 years. He is only seven and luckily went back to 7 year old thinking when he saw a few toys he wanted to buy.
The most eye awakening difference for me is his voice. It has changed. It's deeper. No more little toddler voice or baby babbling. When he says, "bye Mom" at the bus stop I feel sad. Not just because he's leaving but just hearing him talk, which is quite often, is a constant reminder time ticks on, we are all getting older and my baby boy is no longer a baby.
A surreal moment happened last week. Hanging up in my room is a picture of Jonathan and I that was taken when Jonathan was somewhere between 3 and 6 months old. Anyway, Leia was in my room chillin' out while I was taking care of laundry. I walked into the room, looked at the picture, then at Leia and was confused because for a split second I thought the baby on the floor was Jonathan. Leia's face looks similar to how Jonathan looked at that age. I was so confused but then realized it was Leia and Jonathan is 7 now and at school.
So life goes on. Our kids keep growing and changing... and so do I. After the next 7 years Jonathan will be a teenager. Oh, I'm not ready for that!