Saturday, July 9, 2011

Audrey's Arrival

Audrey Alexandria Southworth
June 13, 2011
    11:02pm

7lbs. 7 oz., 19-1/2 inches long

Audrey's birth was a lot more eventful and crazy than we would have liked. She was born via an emergency c-section. The best way I can describe my memory of the event is that I feel like I saw the trailer to a movie while Ryan saw the movie. I only remember images and short "clips" of what went down... this part of what I remember: I had a pretty significant contraction, the resident doctor on call came in to see how dilated I was and then proceeded to check the baby's heart rate since it was not coming up on the monitor. When she pulled her hand out,  bright red blood covered her glove. I looked over at Ryan and his face looked blank, then some other people came into the room. I looked over at Ryan a second time and he was putting scrubs on. Then I was wheeled into the operation room, which was right across the hall, and Ryan was told to wait a few minutes while things were set up. I was told they would tell me later what was going on.

 Once I heard that I just laid there,letting everyone do their job. Eventually Ryan came into the room because I remember looking over and seeing his face.The whole process of Audrey's birth took 6 minutes and the actual c-section from when the blade touched my skin to when Audrey's was born took 1 minute. It was the second fastest c-sections the doctor performed but the scariest. I lost 1/3 of my blood in a matter of  minutes. If this would have happened outside of the hospital, I would have died and probably Audrey as well. I don't want to go into detail, but I know the Lord blessed us with the best possible circumstances/ outcome during a traumatic experience.

Once Audrey was born she let out one cry and they began the process of sucking out all the blood she had swallowed. She also had the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck and body. It took awhile to hear a second cry but I heard it. Then I saw her for a few seconds before she was whisked away to the NICU.  I don't know the details of her first 24 hours in the NICU. That info has to come from Ryan.

As for me, I was still being put back together and listened to the doctor count... I think he was counting my stitches. He also told everyone pizza was on him but then they realized it was too late to order pizza so everyone was getting a milkshake for a job well done. Everyone in that room is amazing and I am so grateful for each one of them doing their job fast and correctly so Audrey and I could live to see another day.


Audrey didn't like the nasal tube and would frequently pull it out. She also played with the IV so her hand had to be wrapped up to prevent any further naughtiness.

She had a hard time regulating her breathing and body temperature so she was stripped down to a diaper and put under a heat lamp. I think she was the biggest baby in the NICU but the smallest baby I gave birth to. It was very exciting when she was finally off of everything and could regulate breathing and body temp. herself. The day I walked in there and saw her dressed and swaddled was extremely exciting.

Posted by Picasa
Audrey means noble strength and this little girl has already lived up to her name. We love her so much and are grateful her life was spared.