Monday, January 31, 2011

Jonathan got his wish

The last few weeks we have been thinking a lot about the little fetus growing inside of me and wondering if it is a boy or girl. One day, Jonathan surprised me and said, " I hope the baby is a girl". Say what? Did I hear him right? Yes. Yes I did.

You see, Jonathan really thought this through. He felt if we had another boy then he would have to share the manly daddy bonding time with this new little bundle of joy. I guess he's not ready for that. Not to mention he might have to share his room. It does seems a bit selfish but I understand. The boy is a bit older than the other kids and does need the extra space and time with dad.

Well, the big day of finding out was this morning. Jonathan wanted to go so we pulled him out of school and he got first peek at the newest sibling. Within the first 2 minutes the tech scanned over the bottom/ leg area and Ryan knew it was a girl... no boy parts showing. He then said a sentence using she so I then knew it was a girl, or did I? Was Ryan being a git and trying to fool me? No. No he wasn't. We are in fact having a girl.

I am super excited about it. Strange because at one point I wanted to go through the little boy stage again but the last few weeks I kept thinking about having a girl and then last week I've had a girl's name stuck in my head. Ella has definitely changed me into thinking more girlie and I was starting to wonder if I could make the transition back to boyish things but luckily I get to stay in the girlie mode... where I finally feel some what comfortable in.

In all of this happiness Ella was not left out. She really wanted to see the baby but could not go because she is too young plus only two guests can be admitted. We told her she would get first choice of picking out a picture of the baby. For the record, Ella also wanted a baby sister so everything worked out. Ryan is already worried about paying for three weddings but has always wanted a little girl to spoil. Now he has three! How blessed is he? Good thing he picked a career to assist in spoiling but that will have to wait until school loans are paid off.

My biggest concern is if something "wrong" will be found during the ultrasound. I always pray for a healthy baby, that there are no major birth defects or diseases. This baby looked great. She did make it hard for the tech to get a picture of her hands but the tech was awesome and got it. Everything looked like it was in place and growing how it should be. We even saw the four chambers in her heart. For me, the most amazing moments are watching the heart beat and hearing it. Today her heart was 152 beats per minute. We did see her yawn which was precious. Simply amazing. It truly is a miracle.

So little fetus of mine if you one day read this blog entry I just want you to know how much we already love you. Be grateful you are a girl because if you were a boy these were some of the name options your family was trying to convince me into naming you: since I became pregnant with Leia the boys were trying to convince me, do I dare say use Jedi mind tricks, to agree in naming you Abraxis. Ella was sure you were a girl but when asked her opinion for a boy's name replied T-Rex but then when daddy asked it became Spinosaurus... so I guess your name would be T-Rex Spinosaurus Southworth. Hmmm, it truly is a blessing you are a girl.