Tuesday, January 18, 2011

icy rain

I forget if it's called ice rain, rain ice, icy rain or something else but whatever it is I have never heard of it until we moved out here to PA and came to the conclusion that I do not like it at all. First of all, it makes a distinct noise as it falls from the sky and it woke me up last night. Then of course the layer of ice that covers everything and makes walking very slippery and dangerous. Snow is lovely but this stuff is wicked.

I do have to be more careful now and not have any major falls so I have to be extremely careful cleaning this stuff up. Ella is the early riser and once again went out with me to start plowing the walkway. Everything had a layer of ice. It was like breaking through a hard candy or maybe a candied apple. It had to be done so all of us could be safe walking out to the car. I went to work and took a moment to see what Ella was up to. After watching her and I became worried she might get hurt. I had to bring her inside and quickly finish.

Soon all the kids were up, we continued to have icy rain, looked outside and realized a new layer of ice already set up where I plowed. Unbelievable. The kids were behaving rather well so I went outside to once again tackle the walkway, while it was raining, and undergo the daunting task of getting that layer of ice off my car. It took a while to open my door and I was extremely nervous about damaging it. Once in I had to climb through to get to the trunk where my ice scraper was. Car started and the process began. It took awhile and at one point I looked up and saw the kids peering through the front window. The a little later I heard kids, my kids, screaming at the top of their lungs. I went in to check on them and it was nothing major. Ella just had a question so they decided to scream to get my attention. Lovely. Everything worked out and we ended up staying at home. Our parking lot was not cleared until rather late in the day. I felt like a true PA resident and did not attempt to drive in this weather.

Ryan, of course, has a much different story to tell since he HAD to go to work. No rest for the doctors. They must show up to work. He had more ice to deal with and a very hairy drive, up hill, to make it to work but he got there. It will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings... possibly Jonathan's 4 day weekend will turn into a 5-days. I don't think so but a little boy can dream.