Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Oh my

Around 1am today I told Ryan a story about Ella and he said I HAD to add it to the blog. So, here it is...

Yesterday, I let the kids fiddle around the house too long, but I had to go out. We were out of milk and I was trying to finish up packing the Christmas gifts I will be sending out to family. It was 11:30, extremely close to Ella's naptime, but I thought it would be ok to go. I'd make it a quick trip...bad idea.

We walked into the store and I proceeded to put Ella in the cart. She had a HUGE fit and tightened her body up so I could not get her feet/legs down . I then tried to reposition her, but she hugged me tight, she suction cupped herself on me and I could not peel her off. I wanted to get the stuff before naptime so I could finish everything up during Ella's nap, but the thought went through my mind to just leave. That's what the experts say, leave the store if your kid has a fit. So I grabbed my purse and told Jonathan we were going home. Ella was sobbing and yelling night night and created quite a scene. There were a few onlookers. Hey, we all have our bad days.

So we walked out the door and Ella started to have a fit again. She wanted to go back inside. When she gets super tired she has no idea what she wants and goes ballistic...which is what happened. We went to the car and loaded Ella into her carseat. As I began to pull out she started to scream, "I SIT...(sob,sob,sob)...I SIT(sobbby, sob, sob) I don't know why, but I parked back into my space, got out and brought a cart, hoping she really wanted to go, but she did not fully convince me if she would be good. So I put the cart back and drove away, with Ella still sobbing.

When home I took Ella straight into her room to take a nap. She was still upset but calmed down and fell asleep.

My advice when these things happen is to stay calm. The hardest part is to take the emotions I am feeling out and just deal with the situation. (Advice from Ryan) When I do this I can deal with everything, but when I don't, it's just horriblle. BUT Ella is old enough where she needs to see consiquences for bad behavior.