Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Quick Trip to Cali

At the beginning of August my dad had a party to celebrate turning 70. Extended family was invited and I was able to see many relatives that I have not seen in about 5 years or longer. Before the event, I asked my brother and then dad a few times, months before and then weeks, if they needed any help. At first I got a "I'll let you know" and then a "we have it covered" so it ended up that all I had to do was get down there and show up.

Since the kids were already in school, it was literally a super quick trip. We left after school on Friday and ended up getting there close to midnight due to hitting a few wrong turn trying to get to Uncle Todd's house... but we did make it to Simi!

On Saturday the girls spent the morning in Beanie Baby heaven. Nana got out a few plastic tubs full of every Beanie Baby you could imagine. They had to narrow it down to only taking home three, per mommy request, so it took awhile for Ella to narrow it down. I think it was after that my dad called and wondered when I was coming over. Since no one informed me I was suppose to arrive early, and plans were already made to have a little party for Leia before my dad's party, I felt bad telling him I would not be able to make it until the party actually began.

 
The little shin dig for Leia was really nice. Lynnie made Leia's favorites for lunch, we ate some yummy cake and Leia opened her presents. She received a really cute La La Loopsy doll house which Leia ended up taking part of it with her to my dad's party. That worked out perfectly because her cousin also brought her LaLa Loopsy stuff  and it looked like they had a blast playing together.

My brother and sister did a fabulous job at putting the party together for my dad. Unfortunately I had to leave Audrey behind, which ended up being a good thing because she slept for about 2 hours at Nana's house. Her cold mixed in with staying up late and waking up early finally caught up with her and she zonked out.


The other kiddos had fun at my dad's party. Jonathan spent most of the time playing rock band, Ella hung out with Emily and Leia played with Lilah. I need to somehow visit my sister more so the girls can have more fun together. I mostly talked to a few of my aunts. It was nice to catch up on what was happening in their lives and also reminisce about the past. I also saw some of my cousins and met a couple of their kiddos that I have never seen before. It was a nice evening.

The next day we tried to leave early but did not get out as early as I wanted too. Before entirely leaving the city, I took the kids on a little drive, the drive I use to make as a teenager that was between Ryan's house and mine. I pointed out the high school I went to, the park I use to play at, the path I walked to my elementary school and then the actual elementary school. Things looked pretty different to me. The outside of the house looked great and the brick mailbox is still there. After the brief memory lane moment we took off for Arizona so we could get back in enough time where the kids could get out some energy and then wind down and go to sleep so they would be ready for school the next day.. which was also Leia's "real" birthday.



What my childhood house looks like now.