Three kids are now heading out to school. Jonathan goes to a special sixth-grade-only building at his elementary school. Ella, also at the same school, is now a first grader and has moved up to the big kid playground which creates a newness to school. Leia started preschool but at a different school since the other kids' school does not offer it. Since we now have two schools to go to, that start at the same time, our schedule has changed a bit, except for the first day. Luckily Ryan was able to take the big kids to their school and I took Leia to her first day of school.
Leia's first day of school was madness in the parking lot. It seemed like every parent parked and went up to the school with their kid/ kids. I was a bit worried we would not find a place to park and be horribly late. Luckily we did find a spot, were not late, waited in a long, slow moving line in the hallway next to Leia's class before I could drop her off, finally hugged and kissed her goodbye where she was also greeted by her teacher and then walked into a new world called preschool.
Since we have been in school for about five weeks already, I can say some things have surprised me about the kiddos and some remain the same. Ella is going through her normal meltdowns AFTER school. I guess she needs to release all the stress and emotions she holds in at school so she is able to follow what is expected of her. Then she gets home, in some cases in the car, and just has a projectile vomit of emotions. I typically ask her to go to her room, mostly to give her some space to calm down, and usually she is okay for the rest of the evening. Just to clarify, she is usually only like this the first month or two, until she gets adjusted to her new surroundings and routines. It happened in preschool and Kindergarten. Right now I am just waiting for the transition time to be over and then everything will be awesome.
In a nut shell the first day went pretty well. Jonathan enjoyed it, Ella had withdrawals of not being in Chamberlain's class and Leia probably thought, "What did I just get myself into?" Sounds like an interesting beginning of a new school year.