
About six months ago I had Ella come to my dentist appointment so she could get use to the dentist sounds so six months later it would hopefully not be as intimidating when she went to her first appointment. I have to laugh thinking about my appointment because they gave her a toy half way through it. She chose a toy that shot out a flying disk. While the dentist worked on my teeth a small disk was shot randomly though out the room with cartoons playing in the background. For some reason that disk never made it home. I wonder why? At any rate she tried to get a look at Ella's teeth by asking to count them but Ella was too afraid and only let her peak at them. However the visit was some what successful because Ella did manage to get a pink toothbrush out of the visit while I was left empy handed.
Anyway, on July 15th Ella had her first official visit to the dentist. A month before I pretended to be a dentist and told her to open wide and then made different noises hoping it would help. She loved playing dentist and looked forward to the visit. However, a week before the day she started to get nervous, especially on "the" day. I kept telling her to just listen to the dentist and do what she asks and it would be a great visit ending with getting a prize and a new toothbrush. As we approached the door I read the sign which said the friendliest dentists in town. I pointed it out to her and said, "See you have the best dentist! Everything will be fine." Oh, I can't forget I let her bring her safety blanket. It's always good to have back up. Anyway, they called Jonathan first and then a few minutes later it was Ella's turn. She looked hesitant but reluctantly took the ladies hand who would be cleaning her teeth and walked back without me! I played peak a boo with Leia while the other kids had their teeth cleaned side by side. A while later Ella came back with sparkly clean teeth. They said she was unsure at first but after they moved/played with the chair she was fine. Ella was actually happy when everything was over and they let her pick 2 prizes plus she received a new toothbrush and toothpaste. She also has a photo hanging next to all the other kids who also have found the freindliest dentist in town showing their beautiful, freshly cleaned, sparkly teeth. One visit down and many more to come.