My grandma would always make bologna and cheese sandwiches for my grandpa... sometimes a double decker. When ever I have a craving for bologna I know it is because of those sandwiches.
Remember when we would play clue and Uncle Gary would make up voices for all the characters. I never knew why he would always win even though we could see his cards because of the big mirror in the family room.
Sometimes our dads would swim with us and they would dive off the board. Numerous cannon balls were preformed in the attempt to get us wet. No names but remember one of them broke the board...
One year we had extreme fires going on in the mountains and you could see the helicopters trying to put out the fires. I think we created a video that year. Then we drove home and were super close to the fire. Scary, but when I think of summer I think of fires... at least a California summer.
You can't think of my grandpa without thinking chess sets. He had a special one where you could play against the actual board. Back then it was so cool and high tec. I must admit I was a little scared of being in his office. When I think of that room what comes to mind is chess sets and the movie Ten Commandments.
When I think of grandma I think of her in the hall waiting for us to enter so she could give us a huge hug and kiss. It seemed like she never missed an opportunity to give us a warm welcome.
Last but most importantly, at least to a small child, THE candy dish. You know the one. Sometimes it was up high, other times on the end table next to the couch. Oh how I looked forward to being able to snag a candy from that dish. Looking through it, hoping my favorite was there so I could eat it. Man I loved those candies. Maybe that is where my love for sweets began.