Friday, June 27, 2008

Crayola Factory

I have been meaning to venture out and see parts of Pennsylvania, so today we went to the Crayola Factory. It was only about 30 minutes away. Jonathan enjoyed going and we learned a lot about crayons and markers. First, Jonathan went into an area where they melt the crayons and you can draw pictures with the melted wax. Then we walked around decided to make wind socks.


After that we found these see through walls that you could draw on. Ella liked this part and even drew some on herself. Hopefully I was not teaching them any bad habits. I took a cool picture of Jonathan. I was on the opposite side of the wall taking the picture, so if you look closely you can see people's drawings on his face.


We also saw how they make crayons and markers. Did you know the first four years, farm workers would roll the paper onto the crayons and the glue is just starch and water... pretty interesting. We also had the opportunity to roll one ourselves, which is kind of hard to roll it perfectly. Afterwards, we went to the Crayola store and there we saw the world's biggest crayon.... we were so happy it was blue!

You can see how big it is compared to Jonathan. On the way home Jonathan kept talking about the factory and he wondered how many gallons of wax were used to make the world's biggest crayon. So, it's safe to say the little road trip was a success.