Thursday, April 22, 2010

"ketchup", said mustard to the tomato who was falling behind

Life has been busy. Mostly because the girls are getting up earlier, Jonathan is staying up later and Leia went through a period where she was waking up every 1-1/2 to 2 hours during the night. I was getting less sleep than Ryan. I didn't think that was possible! Things had to change so about a week ago I started the process of Leia learning to calm herself back to sleep. I am still waiting for her to sleep through the night. The lack of sleep added to lack of "me" time has caused no posts. Let's do a some what quick recap.

Jonathan- Last weekend I started hitting yard sales and we came across a pair of skates. Now the boy wants to go out every night and skate. He's getting better and does little jumps and now talks about doing little stunts like jumping over a rock. Don't worry. Remember his dad is an ER man so our kids get suited up for safety.

Last month Jonathan participated in a read-a-thon. That boy loves to read. I made many trips to the library to keep him interested. Some nights he read for three hours and a few nights he was caught reading next to his night light hours past bedtime. Anyway, this past week he finally got his gold ribbon which you had to read 500 minutes to get. The super exciting news is he received a gift certificate and fair tickets because he read the most out of all the second graders, approximately 1700 minutes. This was an unexpected surprise and he was thrilled. With his gift certificate he chose the Dairy of the Wimpy kid book where you fill it out to create your own diary. He has been obsessed with that book since he got it. I had to confiscate it due to it being a major distraction. Don't worry he'll get it back tomorrow.

Ella- The girl is so full of life and excitement. She loves to pretend. She is back to being a little puppy and other imaginary adventures. She always includes us in them. A common phrase she says to Jonathan is, "Let's play. I will be the Pokemon and you can be my master."

She still wants to do everything Jonathan does. Today Jonathan went on a field trip and Ella wanted to go so we ended up having a little field trip of our own. I packed her a sack lunch and put it in her backpack, just like Jonathan. We went to the "kazoo" to see the "amimals". It was a fun day. Later in the day we went outside where she wanted to find some "poofy heads". She found a couple and we made a wish together... very adorable.

Ella with a poofy head.
Posted by Picasa

An exciting note, she finally is trying some new foods. New meaning they have been on her plate many, many times but she is finally attempting to eat them. For dinner she usually looks at her plate and starts categorizing foods by pointing and exclaiming this is yucky or this is yummy. Yesterday she finally ate a hot dog and today she tried broccoli... baby steps...baby steps.

Leia- Still adjusting to a new nighttime routine.

It is definite that she loves getting her teeth brushed. I ask her to say aw and she does! She keeps her mouth open and lets me brush her two teeth and gums which is the exact opposite of Ella. I'm flabbergasted.

She is pulling herself up on everything... me, the couch, railing, TV stand, etc. It is so exciting to watch. Ella and I cheer her on during the day and Leia just stops, looks at us and flashes a smile.

Posted by Picasa

She also says Mama now. She curls her little lips inward to make the mmmm sound and starts firing away a ma ma ma ma ma. I could go on but I think I will save some info for her 9 month post. It is coming up. Crazy.

Amy- I have been counting down the days until Ryan is done with 2nd year of residency. These past few months have been rough. I was just informed that 3rd year is worse! What! If I was a swearing type of gal,well, call me a sailor. I was told 2nd year was the worst. Oh well.

Spring is here and I love it! I wish I could take a day and just bask in the sun and relax... sounds awesome. Unfortunately I can't so I pack up the kids and attempt to get out and enjoy the sunny days.

Last Saturday was not sunny but it was the kick off to garage sale season. It's so relaxing to drive around here during spring time because everything is so beautiful. It's also nice to find some good deals on things. Like the roller blades for Jonathan... only two bucks. Great price, especially since I was not sure how much he would use them. I also found a pink, adjustable pair of skates for Ella. I'm finding out people buy a lot of stuff for their kids, end up not using half of it and eventually try to sell it. We have found some nice stuff for cheap. This year I have a list of things we need. I am slowly getting organized... baby steps... baby steps.

Ryan- Work, work, research project, work, sleep and work. Did I mention work? He does have this weekend off :) Of course he has a million things to do for work :( It's the game of too much to do, too little time. Hopefully he can ketchup!

Hey, you gotta have a sense of humor to get through the stress of residency mingled with children.