Thursday, October 14, 2010

baptism

I really don't know how to start this post but this event must be added to our family journal so I guess I'll just start writing and see what happens.

One of the main reasons why I have not posted lately is because I have been helping Jonathan prepare for his baptism and also preparing our home for the family members who were coming out to support him in this great event.
We are member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and the doctrine of our church is that children are not baptized until the age of accountability which is 8. We believe children under this age are still learning right from wrong plus are learning the repentant process. If they happen to die before they are baptized at 8 years old, they go to heaven... very comforting doctrine for those who lost a child.
For the past few months Jonathan has been reading the Book of Mormon by himself. When I hear stories about young men preparing for their missions and they read the Book of Mormon for the first time out on the mission field, I cringe. To me a person should read it while deciding to be baptized... um, isn't that what missionaries ask their investigators to do? Since Jonathan is an excellent reader it made sense for him to read it alone and pray about what he is reading. It has been a struggle at times and he is still working towards finishing the book but it has already been a great blessing for him.

Jonathan was baptized on October 9th 2010... the day after his birthday. In the morning we took off for the Susquehanna River. It was a gorgeous day. I even took a picture while driving. The weather was fabulous and the trees were breathtaking going through their autumn changes.

Previously, Jonathan decided how he wanted the program to run. He picked out the songs and chose who would give the prayers and talks. We brought a tent for the boys to change their clothes and also a chair so Jonathan had a place to sit while he was confirmed. Everything was so wonderful it's just hard to put into words so I think I will just mention some of the things I will never forget...

...
The look on Jonathan's face after he was immersed in the water.
How carefully all of us had to walk but no one slipped in the mud.
Seeing Jonathan and Ryan standing in the water in the middle of an enclosure of trees.
How the water glistened in the sun.
The remarks Loren and Lynn gave during the baptism.
Jonathan holding Ryan's hand and looking to his Dad for guidance.
Hearing wonderful music played by Papa.
Just the overall feeling of peace, love and comfort.


I know Ryan, as well as I, feel honored to be his parents and witness this sacred event.

Posted by PicasaBeautiful view of a PA Autumn day.
Picture taken of the family before we headed out. I only have one picture taken of our kids blessings, Leia's blessing, so I was determined to get a family pic BEFORE we left to make sure we had one.
Thanks Crystal!

Jonathan and Ryan walking down the path leading to the site where the Aaronic Priesthood was restored and also where Joseph Smith was baptized.

Posted by PicasaJonathan and Ryan are standing in front of the area where Jonathan was baptized.